2014 Specialized Bicycles South Eastern Regional Championship series #1 - Santos "Vortex" Trails - Ocala, FL 3-9-14. This is why they call it the Sunshine State! Sunny skies and temperatures in the 70's while most of the rest of the country is freezing, another perfectly timed rain on Thursday had the course as good as it can be. The 5.5 mile course was a sort of Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde as the first half was fast and flowing and the second half was on the famous Red Trails of the Vortex and yes it was all of the red trails including the "rock garden". This year was also the first year that the race conicided with the popular Santos Fat Tire Festival which made for hundreds of extra riders in the area along with demo's and dirt jump expo's. Many thanks to the Club OMBA for building and maintaining the nearly 80 miles of trails on the Greenway system and for hosting the Festival. The top male Pro racer was Ryan Woodall who had a close battle with defending SERC champ Thonas Turner and it was Shelly Allen returing to winning form in the Women's expert / pro class. Many thanks to the round sponsor Santos Trailhead Bike shop which handed out over $2000 in prizes to the medalists. Congrats to all and many thanks to all of the sponsors and riders for getting the series off to a great start!
Next Gone Riding race will be in Macon, GA for the GSC opener on 3-15&16-14.
* Announcing a new cross country race in Florida, the first ever USAC one day state championship race on 5-4-14 at Loyce Harpe Park in Lakeland. If some racers remember this was the same site as the old "North vs South" race about 10 years ago. A top 15 in any championship class will qualify a rider to go to the USAC nationals in PA in July.
* Also annoucing a USAC Regional championship one day race on 10-19-14 in Alachua, Fl, it too is a USAC national qualifier.
* The first round of the Georgia State Championship series has been moved to the Thomson Trails near Macon, GA due to the harsh winter effects on the Arrowhead trail system.
* The fourth round of the SERC series on 4-27-2014 in Winder, GA will be a USAC sanctioned national qualifier (a top 15 will automatically qualify a rider to the nationals in PA in July and an AMBC (double ranking points). If you plan to make it to the nationals this is your chance.
* New this year Gone Riding is now offering an optional membership for $30 and includes a t-shirt, sticker and a $5 discount off regular entry prices. This membership can be purchased at any Gone Riding event or online at First Place Racing.com. Also USAC licenses will also be honored at all cross country events and receive the same $5 discount.
mountain bike racing
Mountain bike racing